Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Time Out Track - no one said it would be easy

Inspired by my fortunate success in the Write To Run challenge (Uh Oh, below, where embarrassment paid off), I was thinking of posting a clip to a song I used as motivation for running.

But I don't listen to music when I run.

Apart from a delirious "home straight" the first time we ran over 15km, when my training partner and I jogged through a local high street on a Sunday morning belting out the Rocky theme song, there is only one song I can recall coming in to my head while running.

I was using a marathon training programme in which the longest run was 30km, two weeks in a row. I'd nailed the first week pretty comfortably, and went out far too confident the following week.

Dragging myself along the track beside the Yarra River by rowers with coxes yelling at them, looping over and over in my head was Sheryl Crow.

'No one said it would be easy, but no one said it'd be this hard. No one said it would be easy, but no one thought we'd come this far.' I mustn't say what I wanted to do to her for those last few kms.

Unfortunately, now that I've mentioned it, she's looping again with me while I wrestle the writing targets for my manuscript.

But let's take her on! So here's a time out track that gets me fired up to take on anything that looks daunting...like going back to swimming training tomorrow night after a considerable time out.

It also made me quite a 'cool Auntie' when I played it loud in the car for my nephew.




No comments:

Post a Comment