Saturday, 24 August 2013

My vegan experiment

My Italian housemate has just gone out to buy an almond croissant. My other housemate said sorry as she took a packet of bacon out of the freezer.

It's okay. I'm only on Day 5 and haven't really craved anything yet. I'm happy with my power bars packed with chia seeds, flaxseed, dates, raisins, coconut oil and cacao nibs. I'm looking forward to ginger peanut somen noodles for lunch, and I've even made my own hummus.

So far it seems like it's just a matter of being organised. Beans soaking overnight and lots of tupperware containers for the bulk buy of obscure products from an online health food store. This week I've spent at least three times my usual food budget, but if we're struck by a natural disaster, I'm the one who'll be full, not to mention regular, and we'll see who's saying sorry then.

I don't actually know what made me start this experiment. I usually rebel against any imposition of order. I once joined a gym and subsequently stopped going to the classes I'd been attending regularly as a casual user.

But the other day I was walking through the common trying to figure out why I'd been feeling a bit off for a while. I usually eat fairly well and keep fit, and I hadn't changed anything to account for it. A couple of hours later a friend mentioned he'd recently gone vegan and has never had more energy. I stared at my Lucozade collection in the bottom of the fridge and thought that maybe there was something to this.

When I looked at my spreadsheet of ingredients for my first order, I wondered if maybe I hadn't gone mad rather than vegan. But it's worth a try.

In true form I kicked off Day 1 with honey toast, honey being the divisive product between hardcore vegans and, well, us less fanatical people doing it for health reasons rather than the more virtuous grounds of protesting against animal cruelty. Of course I'm all for that as well; back when I ate meat and dairy I always went for free range organic stuff.

I can't say I feel any changes yet, but I'm not sure how long it'll take for any noticeable difference to kick in. I'm also not sure that taking a raw carrot cake with cashew cream cheese frosting to a party tonight is a good idea, but if I keep their glasses filled with Loire goodness maybe they won't think anything of it.

Anyways,  Day 5 and all going well. Time to go grate some carrots.

Organisation
Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment