Friday, 16 May 2014

Time Out Track: "What The Heck Was That"

A Finger, Two Dots Then Me

Lately I've been listening to podcasts more than music. I'm in the final editing stages of a few stories, and need silence for that. But the new pieces I'm writing, which I'm trying to build from one line or an old woman I saw in the street…wherever they're from they're very very early, and need careful coaxing. So I've been writing while writers read to me. Sometimes it's their work in their voice, and sometimes they're reading stories of other writers.

My track history is dominated by:
- James Salter reading 'Break It Down' (Lorrie Moore) from The Guardian, and
- Colm Tóibín reading 'The Children's Grandmother' (Sylvia Townsend Warner) thanks to The New Yorker Fiction

And my latest addition, thanks to Going Down Swinging, is this clip from Derrick Brown, scored by Mogwai.

It might help you if you're flagging on a Friday afternoon, or give you words to reflect on, or prompt you to book a ticket to one of his upcoming (Australian) shows.

Or just fill the next 7 minutes and 40 seconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment