Thursday, 1 May 2014

Time Out Track: What I'm Doing Here

This morning I read a 4.5* review of Lake Street Dive's recent release, Bad Self Portraits. It's their 3rd album but [confession] I hadn't heard of them before.

They've been compared to an impressive line up - ABBA, Mamas and Papas, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin - and then there's the breakthrough video of LSD funking up "I Want You Back" (Jackson 5) that has been watched more than 1.8m times. As well as crafting a cool rendition on a Boston sidewalk, they even make double denim work.

Looking at video clips available I saw "What Am I Doing Here?" and thought of Radiohead's "Creep" and it all seemed to fit with the piles of ideas I have strewn around my room at the moment.

It may not be the latest or best track from LSD, but this studio recording is a pretty sweet introduction to a band cracking big success after 10 years touring in vans. If you live in Europe or USA, you can catch them on their extensive 2014 tour. Us Antipodeans might have to canvas lead singer Rachel Price to drop in to the country where she was born, but in the meantime, the album's a pearler.



No comments:

Post a Comment