Monday, 25 August 2014

Sitting in…open writers

A week ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be writing about miscellaneous mum, reservoir dad and Ben Watt, in the same post. But then Melbourne Writers Festival hadn't started.

I kick started the festival with a front row seat at Helen Garner's opening night address. A lady new to Melbourne sat next to me, her husband was a few rows back, and pretty quickly we were swinging our legs, pointing out faces we recognised and giggling like teenagers.

Since then I've seen a real range of writers and heard some interesting stuff - Benjamin Walker's podcast where he tries to throw himself into a painting is probably a stand out on that front - and I know that there's plenty more to come.

But on the way home yesterday I was thinking about Karen Andrews, Clint Greagen and Ben Watt. In different ways they each write about their families, and  and people in their lives, and



I read Ben Watt's memoir, Patient: A true story of a rare illness, based on Lisa Dempster's excitement and my nostalgia for Everything But The Girl. At his

No comments:

Post a Comment